Where Veterans Can Go to Get Help with PTSD

Guest post by Wes Exon

Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is common among military veterans. Many of them have a hard time transitioning back into society because of their experiences in service. If you are currently suffering from PTSD or you know someone that is, there are many places you can go for help. The sooner you reach out to someone, the sooner you can get back to normal. Here is a guide explaining where veterans can go to get help with PTSD.

VA Medical Centers

Any VA medical center will have therapists and doctors who can help with PTSD. Most VA clinics will as well. If you do not know where your local medical center is, you can use this tool from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to find one near you. Most major cities will have at least one medical center or clinic available, but you may have to go a little out of your way if you live in a small town. The help you can get is well worth the drive though.

Vet Centers

If you are a war veteran, you should be able to obtain help from a local vet center. This facility is specifically designed to assist people who have fought in war, regardless of their time in service. To find a vet center near you, use the locator on VetCenter.VA.gov. This will pinpoint the exact offices you can reach out to for help.

Veteran Combat Call Center

The Veteran Combat Call Center is available 24 hours a day to help veterans in need. Their support staff members can talk you through any problems you are having so you can start to regain control over your life. The best part of all is that the people answering the phones are other combat veterans like yourself. They know what feelings you’re going through, and they can provide you with actual insight to make your situation better. To talk to someone on the phone, call 1-877-WAR-VETS.

Military OneSource

Military OneSource is a general support service for people in the military. You do not have to be a war veteran to benefit from their help. You just need to have some association with the armed forces. MOS provides 24 hour assistance over the phone, so you can call them any time you need to. Their number is 1-800-342-9647.

Defense Centers of Excellence

The Department of Defense has a special branch known as the Defense Centers of Excellence where veterans can go for emotional support. This branch offers 24.7 call support, along with a range of helpful resources online. You can go to the DCoE website for information about where to get help and what steps to take to get better on your own. This might be a good head start for you.

Rather than suffering with PTSD all your life, you might as well take the steps to do something about it. Find a help center near you and get the support you need today.

Wesley is a writer for Low VA Rates, a leading provider in VA mortgage loans. They go to great lengths to make sure the VA loan process is simple and easy for Veterans. 


The information provided on the PsyWeb.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational and educational purposes. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Neither the owners or employees of PsyWeb.com nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. Please see our Legal Statement for further information.

Sign up for our newsletter to receive mental health Information & Inspiration


PsyWeb Poll

Are you currently taking or have you ever been prescribed anti-depressants?: