Disorders and Treatment
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Borderline Personality
- Mental Health Diagnosis
- Mental Health Treatments
- Alternative Meds
- Case Studies
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder Definition
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by behavior or a fantasy of grandiosity, a lack of empathy and a need to be admired by others. Narcissistic personality has a pathological unrealistic or inflated sense of self-importance, has an inability to see the viewpoints of others, and is hypersensitive to the opinions of others.
ONSET: Early adulthood and with a variety of contexts.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder Diagnostic Criteria
Behavior or a fantasy of grandiosity, a lack of empathy and a need to be admired by others. As indicated by at least five of the following:
- Grandiose sense of self-importance.
- Fantasies of and preoccupied with beauty, brilliance, ideal love, power, or unlimited success.
- A belief of being special and unique and can only be understood or a need to associate with people of high status.
- A need for excessive admiration.
- An unreasonable expectation of being treated with favor or excepting an automatic compliance to her / his wishes.
- Will use others to achieve her / his goals.
- Lacks empathy.
- Believes others are envious of her / him or is envious of others.
- Contemptuous or haughty attitudes / behaviors.
Related treatment types for narcicissm
The information provided on the PsyWeb.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational and educational purposes. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Neither the owners or employees of PsyWeb.com nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. Please see our Legal Statement for further information.